GP 15
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:... The issues with the Smokey Valley GP15-1 kits really are very VERY slight. All the body pieces are correct, the only areas that are noticeably wrong are the very ends (i.e., the nose, and the very rear end of the hood.) ... The Smokey Valley nose section is the correct 88" nose, but the nose is too "pointy" ... it is no problem at all to install a Cannon nose and Cannon ends/roof sections. This has the added benefit of increasing the detail accuracy.

I'm sure I can get the Cannon nose and end/roof parts. And I've never shied away from a difficult project ... that was never an option in the design office!! Big Grin 8-) 357

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Another issue is that the Smokey Valley fuel tank is way too shallow, and it makes the model seem higher off the ground than it should be. Fuel tank details that fit are readily available as spare parts from Athearn or Railflyer Models.

If I can devise no other way, I'm certain that I could perform a little surgery on the Smokey Valley piece.

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:Jim Six did an article on Main-line modeler about adjusting the Smokey Valley GP15-1s to be more prototypical, even going so far as to modify the original Smokey Valley frame by milling down truck mounting location to get the correct frame height ... some elbow grease will get you what you want if you go the Smokey Valley route. ... so unless you can find the Smokey Valley parts easily ...

I'm pretty sure I have that Jim Six article, in Mainline Modeler, if I'm not mistaken. I've always admired his work.

Thanks for your input, G.E.C.! I'm sure it will be helpful down the line ... I'm being drawn to that Conrail GP15-1 ... with a can motor and a Tsunami decoder ... it should be an interesting, but fun build!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread