GP 15
FCIN Wrote:Next I tried operating it on DCC. It seemed to run okay on DCC for the most part, although not as good as any of my other DCC locos; but still had that constant stalling and sound system reset. Run a few inches, then stall and restart, repeatedly. I hooked up the DCC throttle to my test loop and got it running at a nice medium speed to break it in some, but after running it for 30 minutes in each direction. No change.

its interesting that this thread pops up again, im trying to make a video of my layout using that GP15-1 and its doing all of those things now, which is annoying, it never did this at my train club's layout. i'm gonna bring it back there on thursday to see if its just my layout (which definitely isn't perfect track work wise).

its goes, it stalls, and starts again. I cleaned my track and polished the wheels, but now it just looses the sound, but sorta keeps going. I did notice there were some tracks in particular where it responded poorly, but other engines, both sound equipped and not, went right through (namely an Atlas GP40-2 and p2k SD9) no problems.

its just a little frustrating, it has never done that to me before.

Quote:I have seen videos on YouTube of other GP15-1's that folks have purchased and they seem to have no problems with theirs so I'm just guessing that it was my turn to get a lemon. I'm debating on sending it to Athearn, but right now I'd rather not put more money in this engine.

I've noticed this about alot of the Athearn models lately, which is why i have shied away from them. my last Athearn locomotive was a used RS2, but its been giving all sorts of problems as well. I have that thing totally taken apart because i suspect that the wires and the wheels are messed up. there was at least one instance where one wheelset was pressed in to close and was touching the other "half", shorting the model (this also happened to one of my Atlas engines).
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread