Scratchbuilding Advice
Most of you know I have been building many buildings this past year for my good friend Allan Gartner's HO empire High N' Xiety. He has asked me to do my first ever scratchbuilding project. I'ma skeer'd Eek of this one having never done it before. I ask all you mighty gurus for your advice on how to get this thing rolling. It will be a "centerpiece" of sorts as it will sit atop a mountain scene overlooking the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains.
The prototype structure will be of the Wonderland Hotel located in Tennessee along the original Little River logging RR, now since abandoned. He sent me a picture posted below. All advice is welcomed....below is a list of questions that have so far popped in my head....Galen, I'm especially interested in your take, your scratchbuilding skills I've seen in your posts amaze me...
1. I have done the obligatory Google thing and found a couple of useful pictures and info...where else do you search for information?
2. Are there other resources for materials besides limited offerings of the LHS?
3. Does anyone know of a kit available that is similar to the picture below I should buy and could kitbash into the hotel?
4. Should I invest in any specialty tools to make life easier?

I hesitate to accept this mission as I may self-destruct in 5 seconds once I jump in....but I figure I will attempt scratchbuilding sooner or later, so now is as good a time as any. Looking forward to what you all have to say.....

Attached Files Image(s)

Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191

Messages In This Thread