Wireless Control
To sleep the UT4, hold down any function key and turn any of the address selector knobs to the next digit. The red light should come on briefly, thent he throttle is in sleep mode and the battery shouldn't run down so fast. You can also 'roll' the battery - do NOT flip it end for end, the spring at the base of the batter is all one pice and will be a dead short. There is a diode protecting the input fromt eh battery terminals so putting the + terminal to the - connection won't hurt anything, and will keep teh battery from discharging. The downside is, if you are rough with the battery covers they WILL break. One or two delers sells them, I have no idea how they get them, because if you go to Mouser or DigiKey and try to get the parts fromt he OEM, Serpak, you can only buy the entire case, not just the battery cover.
My layout is too small for radio, I can plug in in one place and reach pretty much anywhere in the room. With a sloping ceiling I don;t think the IR would work well for me, a friend of mine has a relatively low white tile ceiling and the IR works great for him, as long as you don;t point the throttle at the ground. If I want wireless I can always use my iPhone and WiThrottle.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com

Messages In This Thread