Asphalt Parking Lot
Having used Kurt's and Steve's sandpaper road tip, I was planning on using it for the asphalt parking lot at the Chase Bank building. Only thing is, the parking lot is bigger than one sheet of sandpaper and I would have joints. This isn't a problem if modeling a surface that actually has joints, but the parking lot I am doing doesn't.

So, I decided to give it a try with styrene sheet. This photo shows a google-earth view.

First, I used some sandpaper, a wire brush, and a hobby knife to roughen up the surface, then I painted it a mixture of dark gray, brown, and some white. After that, I used some dark washes and some light washes to create some variation, then put on the stripes. I think this turned out pretty good. I'll probably follow up with some weathering powders.

Here is the bank building on the parking lot. The real lot has three depressions with drain grates, for those, I will heat the styrene sheet with a candle and push the depressions in. On the edges of the parking lot, I'll scrape them down with a hobby knife to mimic the real thing. And, I'll add cracks, again with a hobby knife.

I'll post on my progress, I'm thinking this will work well.

Messages In This Thread