A House for San Berdoo ... but first, The Garage
O.K. … on to the hip roof! As expected, it is proving to be an adventure in long-forgotten geometry and algebra! Wallbang I have two trapezoidal panels that are “close enough for Government work,” as they say, and the two triangle panels will be arrived at by measuring what’s needed to fill the gap left at the ends of the garage roof.

I allowed about 16 inches of roof overhand and cut a base for the roof. Scaling the roof height from the drawing (in 1:1 practice, a definite architectural No-No) I cut a series of ridge pieces to tie the “trusses” together longitudinally and the “trusses” themselves, solvent welding them over a gridded system of scribed “locator lines.”
[Image: FramingaHipRoof.jpg]

[Image: ReadyfortheEndFraming.jpg]

Next up would be test fitting and solvent welding the corner “trusses” to the roof base.
[Image: TestFittingtheCornerJoist.jpg]

… first one side an then the other …
[Image: SecondEndJoistCuttoSize.jpg]

… and then the same thing was repeated at the other end of the roof base.

After checking out an architectural design web site and then a construction “how-to” web site pertaining to hip roofs 8-) , I made some basic measurements and cut two trapezoidal panels to act as the roof side panels …
[Image: TestfittingtheTrapezoidalRoofPanels.jpg]

… and used small pieces of Blue Painter’s Tape to hold them in place for measuring and test fitting the triangular end panels …
[Image: TwoRoofPanelsSoFarSoGood.jpg]

While I was at it, I located the center of the roof base and scribed a “part location line” on the bottom of the roof base to prepare the location where the “roof locator," referred to earlier, will be solvent welded in place to allow for a removable roof … always a nice thing!
[Image: LocatingtheGarageCeiling.jpg]

Now the time has come to measure, cut and fit the triangular roof end panels in place. I’ll get to that later today or this evening … but first, while it’s still daylight and the weather is nice, I'm out to the garage to attempt to locate a box of specialized modeling tools that Jens just reminded me that I had not yet uncovered after my move a year-and-a-half ago!

The installments on this thread will now necessarily appear a bit more slowly, as they will be photographed and written as they happen, and not pre-produced, as the work to date has been.

No, I can’t work as fast as Gary does … absolutely no way! Icon_lol
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread