The Shifter
[albumimg]324[/albumimg]

Alrighty, here's a shot of the engine with the D8120 drop-in replacement motor mounted. This fantastic little can motor and custom mount is by Yardbird Classic Trains and made an instant and remarkable difference in operating quality. Not only that, but it simplified DCC wiring considerably, not having to go through isolating the original motor from the frame.

The only flaw was a slippery worm gear. I wrestled with how to keep it from sliding up and down the axle when changing direction (ultimately grinding to a halt when reaching one end or another as the teeth became un-meshed or bound) for a while, then decided to use a thread-locking liquid. This has been a good solution as the gear has held through mounting and unmounting the motor unit during construction & deconstruction and testing, etc.

If you look closely you can see waayy back in the the background a fuzzy green and black open-platform passenger car. This is the Ocali Creek Railway's finest varnish at present. It's a Northeastern wood kit that was fun to build. Painting and lettering (and literally, varnishing) was fun too. Now I need to add little plastic (or metal) passengers and find a good source for placing the underbody details in a plausible manner to complete the model. A sister coach is still awaiting construction. For now, this combine brings up the tail of a mixed train.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread