Backdrop at Mason Park Bridge
Gary S Wrote: ... On the patterns, it seemed the logical way to get the major lines on the wall with the proper proportions. Using them does make me feel more like a "duplicator" and less like an "artist". ...

Gary ... a good designer (or artist) steals with both hands and uses every tool and trick in the book. Time is money. Expedience is key! Why do you think so many top notch illustrators have an opaque projector in their studio ... to project an image and block it in ... quickly. It saves the time and headache of having to draw the object, whatever it is, from a blank sheet of paper! The longer it takes to do an illustration, the less money you are making. You can't exist if you're getting paid $500 for a quick "spot" illustration and it takes you any more than a day to complete it! There is overhead (rent, utilities and supplies, vehicle fuel and insurance ... all of the usual stuff) to cover, not to mention maybe a little to spend on food and clothing! It's not like you have one of them to do every day ... you must go out and find these little jobs!

Don't ask me how I know this! :oops: 35 Wallbang Icon_lol Nope
Gary S Wrote: Mistakes can be corrected, and the mistakes are valuable as learning experiences and make us that much better the next time we try something.

He who never makes mistakes never tries anything new. ~~ Albert Einstein

I can't say it any better than that!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln

Messages In This Thread