complicated trackage
There was some discussion in another thread regarding a diamond being used where 2 industrial spurs crossed each other. I recall someone mentioning the unlikelyhood of a diamond being used in that circumstance on the prototype. A couple things I have noticed regarding prototype trackwork- In the golden years of railroading track was more likely to be built to fit specific situations. Diamonds, when necessary, were used, even on industrial track. Turnouts wee built to fit, even overlapping turnouts with multiple frogs, 3 way turnouts, and lap turnouts or "slip" turnouts. In more modern times railroads seem to be going the more modular route, with turnouts prefabricated and dropped into place. There are no more new installations of curved and custom turnouts of yesterday. And while we modellers try to avoid "S" curves, I see no such avoidance on the prototype. And one other thing I have noticed, when you say something never happened, the prototype railroads will prove you wrong!

So here is my thought, post up photos in this thread of the most complicated trackwork you have seen. Three ways, slips, multiple crossings, overlapping switched/crossings, etc. Industrial or main line. People from Phily, New York, L.A., and Chicago should have plenty to show us.

Dave
-Dave

Messages In This Thread