Black Bear Arch Bridge
Thanks, epaw. Here are a couple in-progress pictures:

[albumimg]3761[/albumimg]

[albumimg]3762[/albumimg]

I stained the wood a dark walnut color, the same as my hand-laid track ties. After weathering I think it makes a nice creosote color.

In the first picture you can see the basic outline of the bridge taking shape. The main structural member across the bottom is first and the feet/shoes added beneath that. Then the vertical members come next followed by the top chord members.

The second image shows the cutting template attached to my Chopper II. I just made sure the center line was beneath the blade then screwed it down using the holding clamps attached to the chopper. It's really a clever jig and template combo, but there's still some good old fashioned measuring to do, or at least the variety that involves laying the wood over the plans, marking where to cut, then carefully laying it beneath the chopper and THWAK!

This is turning out as I had hoped it would, to be a fun little kit. Not so huge as to be really tedious, but enough variety to keep it interesting. Of course, I haven't got to the NBW's yet...

I made a bit more progress tonight than shown here. I added the diagonal bracing to one side of one side, then set that aside to fully dry before flipping it over tomorrow and doing the other set of braces. While that was drying I started on the second arch, getting all the verticals in along with a few chord pieces before calling it a night. More to do this week, but I must say the step-by-step instructions and componant nature of the jig makes it easy to leave off and pick up again.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread