Black Bear Arch Bridge
Mr Fixit Wrote:Thats a great jig they included.

Imagine if they included jigs like that with model aeroplane kits, people would be knocking them out by the squadron.

Mark

Mark - I hear that! One of my early (pre-teen) learning curve experiences was assembling a Guillows P-51 wood & tissue paper kit with rubber band drive. Had I known a mentor or kind-hearted hobby shop owner who was into such planes I may have spent more time with it, but as it was I dutifully layed out the plans, covered them with wax paper, and pinned each carefully cut rib & spar in place, gobbing on wood glue. Alas, it did not fly and actually self-destructed under an over-tightened rubber band.

Now I am carefully brushing on yellow carpenter's glue sparingly (do you call it yellow PVA down under or is that a Brit thing?) and mitering cuts on an NWSL chopper.

Greg - I'm glad I went the kit route. There will be other occasions to scratchbuild. In fact, I'm not using the trestle piers that came with this kit so they may show up foreshortened somewhere else someday. I have an idea for the low trestle that will cross a wide marshy creek on the removable 'bridge' section of the layout. When I get to that stage I'll most likely order another jig and some materials from Black Bear.

Still plugging away...

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread