PRR A5 0-4-0
The next thing was the hollow cab, the very hollow cab.
As i had no blueprints, i had to look to several prototype photos showing some of the interieur of ab A5's cab. At least it was a process which i can describe as "restoring to what it will be looking right".

[Image: dsc00998tlff.jpg]
At first was the height of the cab floor. By looking on prototype photos the cab floor was not so low as the brass rear cab wall will point. So i decided to orientate me to the height of the tender deck. The air reservoirs give an point to the height of the cab floor too.
I made the cab floor out of 1.0mm styrene sheet.

[Image: dsc00997cyoc.jpg]
The sides boiler backhead were made of 0.5mm styrene sheet because it is easier to bend it. The contour follows the outer lines of the Belpaire firebox and there are several layers of 0.5mm styrene to match the contour right. The backhead plate was made of 1.0mm styrene.

[Image: dsc00996tx4j.jpg]
A look from the rear with mounted rear cab wall. It seems me to look right.
Another details are the wide open cab windows. On every prototype photo of an A5 which was under steam and working the cab windows were wide open. I realized this on the model by filing away the middle window crossbar and the outer frames representing a closed window pane.

Lutz

Messages In This Thread