PRR A5 0-4-0
It is time to write this post a little bit further.

[Image: dsc01013inmg.jpg]
For easier mounting and demounting i filed off the upper front edge of the gearbox casing.
Adding details. A chapter of resarch for prototype photos and studying them intensively. Very intensively.
I start detailing the running gear.
Why there were missing brake detail parts on all Bowser kits, even on the superdetailed ones :?:
Two pair of suitable brake shoes i found in my scrap box. Of course this are German prototype brake shoes, but they look right according to the A5 prototype.
On the photo most parts on the running gear are fixed, but there in the box a many parts still awaiting attention.
The coupler and box are Kadee #78 which will fit perfect.

[Image: dsc010362uw1.jpg]
Because of the boiler backhead i had to remove some flesh from the rear motor mounting block.
The ashpan was simple made out of some styrene half tube.

[Image: dsc010379usl.jpg]
Another perspective. Here the body got some of its details also.
But by looking to prototype photos i found the front end of the running board above the cylinders were not so massive as Bowser casted them.
So before detailing i milled the to much portions away. I made from some thin brass stripe mounting angles for the very front of the running boards.
Beneath the boiler backhead you see a styrene block. This block is hollow and has nut glued inside. Thus enables me to mount the rear end of the body simple srewing to the running gear. The block is sitting direct on the frame. By simple loosening two screws on the underside you can lift the Body straight off the chassis:

[Image: dsc010389to5.jpg]

Next to do is making swiss cheese out of the shell. Big Grin
Means to drill several holes and bores into the casting and a really lot of drilling with different diameters.

Lutz

Messages In This Thread