To Many Projects!
Okay, I'll join in. Layout work doesn't count since that can be considered ongoing until the layout is finished (and yes, it can be finished!) At the top of the list is the Shifter:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=414">viewtopic.php?f=22&t=414</a><!-- l -->

Also incomplete is my kitbash challenge from a couple years back now, I suppose, the water bottling plant. Another steam project is the Mantua 0-6-0T. There's the N&W Class J 4-8-4 to which I was adding a new front end throttle detail part, still packed away. Long before the Shifter I put a new motor in an IHC 4-6-2 and began stripping the details...still packed away. Another half-dozen vintage steamers await remotoring/detailing, but they have not been started and are in various states of repair.

I would run out of room to list the rolling stock kits but most of those are not even begun. There are, however, a few rolling stock kits begun in need of completion. There's an N&W Gon which I was upgrading with metal wheelsets, coupler lift bars, wire grabs and a few dings, dents and rust. There's also the Sierra coach, 90% complete with a matching combine still not started. Another set of passenger cars is the same, a Northeastern Combine 98% complete with a coach that's only 1% complete (barely started).

What seems to keep me from completing these kits is easy to name. But more difficult to understand is the phenomenon you describe - even though there's plenty to work on, we still manage to start something new. This, I think, is related to buying additional kits when we already have plenty stashed away.

What has helped, however, has been the division of the layout construction into phases - including not only the benchwork, trackwork, etc. but also structures and matching rolling stock complete with carcards and waybills for each. This way I can focus my efforts on only the cars that will be needed for that section and once it is complete I'll be able to operate it as it has been designed. So even though they are not yet begun I will be working on a pair of cabeese for phase one, and painting/decaling a set of steamers (the shifter and 0-6-0T most likely) to match. Hopefully while the airbrush is fired up this summer I'll be able to paint more than just these, but at least I'll have something completed according to plan.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread