Anyone ordering the MR DVD?
That's why I read books on my iPhone. I guess you could say I was an early adopter of ebooks. I am what you might charitably call a voracious reader - remember that Twilight Zone episode with Burgess Merideth? I am ALWAYS reading. I've been using handheld electronic devices to read for years now - so I cna lways have a book right at hand. Waiting for a client to come collect me from the lobby? read a few pages. he integration of the phone and PDA was the greatest thing ever. Now on one deivce, one thing to carry around, I could make calls, read me email, read books - and run my trains. I was using smartphones long before the iPhone, in fact I resisted the iPhone at first because the one I had did everything the iPhone could. I like the convenience factor, no need to carry a book around, or two, if I'm near the end of one. Yes, I am very much like the Twilight Zone character, always looking for somethign to read. Fiction, non-fiction, instructions manuals, labels, signs. Loosing my eyesight would devistate me. Ironic, since my eyes are quite bad, and I've worn coke-bottle glasses since I was 8 years old (extremely nearsighted). ANother example - many years ago, during sumemr break from college, I kept out each book I read rather than replace it on the shelves or in boxes. I could barely walk in my room by the time it was time to pack up and go back to school - and I was working full time the whole summer as well. I don't rememebr the exact count, but it was well over 2 dozen books in the 3 month span.

I'm not old, but I'm not that young, either. When I was a kid, there was no personal computer, I remember the debut of the TRS-80. I was in college before I got an IBM-compatible machine. My first computer was a single board kit I put together myself and it had a whopping 256 bytes of memory - bytes, not kilobytes, megabytes, or gigabytes. I would say I am probably one of the last f the generation to not grow up with a home computer - for example my 20+ year old son, when he was born I already had a 386 level PC. Still, to say I took to computers like a duck takes to water would be an understatement.

Bottom line, reading ont he computer is no bother at all to me. It does help if you ditch the old CRT and get an LCD, and also run it at native resolution - displays can be really fuzzy when not operated at the proper setting, even though some think the text is too small when set properly. The smaller text can be clearer than the larger but incorrect resolution, which like the flicker of a CRT can contrinute to eyestrain and make it uncomfortable to read the computer screen for an extended period of time. Me, I welcome this DVD. Oh, and it's time to go download the latest issue of Model Railroad Hobbyist and read it - free, well produced electronic magazine which I think goes way beyond MR as far as article content these days.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com

Messages In This Thread