Question re 3-1/2" & 4 3/4" gauge garden locos?
Hello Rob,

If you're on a limited budget ,but wanting more than a simple 4 wheeled box on wheels; I'd suggest to build a unit by yourself...the only really important ability you have to have is patience - it takes a year or two.
Building a prototypical electric loco in 1"-scale yourself isn't neither very expensive nor too complicated. For the frame it requires some welding (maybe you have a friend with equipment or ask a local car shop). For the drive-line, wheel-sets are available at reasonable costs - some even with the appropriate bearings (or you could fit some industrial bearings 'cages' onto the axles. All other parts of the drive-line are available from industrial supply. Motors for trucks are usually scooters motor around $50. Most expensive thing is the electrical controlling - I've good experiences with 4QD from UK.

The complexity of the shell of the loco is given by it's shape - if you prefer modern hood diesels, you mostly have joint flat, even panels (e.g. my F40PH). If you prefer only cab-units one possibility is to shape the core of the shell with Styrofoam or something similar and put glass-fiber&resin onto it. After hardening the foam core can be removed.
Asking guys building RC-planes of ships would be helpful when working with resin & glass-fibers for the first time.

IMHO the only complicated thing is the (prototypical looking) construction of the truck's side-frames; however, on my units I always use inside bearings so my side-frames are 'dummies' which eases the construction.
Also there are molded side-frames (Blomberg B) available (I ordered them as spare-parts from British MAXITRAK).

You may have a look on my project's blog http://large-scaledieselmodels.blogspot.de/- the newer projects are documented almost 'step-by-step' ('Aerotrain', Krauss-Maffei, M-10005).

Regards
Norman

Messages In This Thread