Canadian National H6 class 4-6-0 photos wanted
David, I'm curious to know where you got information that this loco was used in Montreal and when that was supposed to have occurred. There were only 20 H-6-ds built, with 10 serving from the '20s to at least the '40s in the Atlantic Region, and the other 10, for the same time period, in the Central region. The latter did include Montreal, but also Ontario and perhaps even beyond. I'm not disputing that they may have been used there, but I haven't been able to turn up any reference to Montreal other than the fact that the class was built there.

The use of that number was the second on the CNR, with the original 1533 being an I-4-a, also a 10-Wheeler, but built in 1904 by Kingston Locomotive Works, and originally Canadian Government Railways' number 641. (CGR was one of CNR's predecessor roads). This loco was scrapped or disposed of in December of 1925.

The only other reference to a different 1533 is as a builder's number for CNR 7367 (originally Canadian Northern 408). This loco was an 0-6-0, built in 1918 by Kingston (later Canadian) Locomotive Works and scrapped in June of 1954. There's an under-construction photo of it HERE (scroll about half-way down the page).

Locomotives used in commuter service in Montreal included the X-10-a class. These were six locos that were basically Ten-Wheelers, but designated 4-6-4T (I refer to them as vest-pocket Hudsons Wink Goldth ) All six were built for the Grand Trunk Railway in 1914, by Montreal Locomotive Works, and were originally numbered GTR 1540 to 1545 (inclusive). They were re-numbered upon formation of the CNR to 45 to 50 respectively. There are three of these locos preserved (in varying states of preservation might be a better term) and you can view all three HERE. Click on the Unit #, then click on the thumbnail for a larger view.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread