Alternative to the NMRA Master Model Railroader?
Okay, so here's a potentially controversial topic, but one that a few civic-minded, lunatic-fringe types may be able to sort out or drag out for a while. Some comments about what constitutes a model railroader on Gary's layout thread got me to thinking. I've read other threads on other forums bashing the NMRA or the MMR or the acheivement program as being outdated. Along the same vein are threads bashing the contests as biased or craftsman-kit-esque heavy.

I'd rather be positive about something new or different than to tear down something old. So let's brainstorm and come up with our own list about what makes a model railroader - or rather, what makes a 'master' model railroader?

I do NOT want to hear the 'anything goes, as long as you're having fun playing trains' answer. There needs to be some sort of criteria for what constitues a definition that matches the three words - master, model, and railroader. You can be a master modeler, but not necessarily a railroader. You can be an operator of the plywood pacific without a hint of scenery but does that fully qualify, etc. You get the idea.

Any takers? Thoughts?

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread