Alternative to the NMRA Master Model Railroader?
Interesting discussion.

I've yet to become a member of the NMRA. Yet, becoming an MMR is on my bucket list. Why? Because of the challenge it represents to my current skill set. Because whether or not I am a Master Model Railroader in the eyes of others, it will be a significant personal achievement.

Are there plenty of model railroaders who are master model railroaders without possessing the official title? Sure there are. Just like there are master craftsmen who don't have the union or guild card. And there are those who possess the title without having the real qualities that define a master. NO titling or achievement system is perfect.

My world of work has an interesting analogy called "Senior Engineer". To some, senior engineer is just a pay grade. To others, it represents a higher level of technical knowledge. To me, a true senior engineer is a mentor, and capable of leading a project, as well as having the superior technical knowledge of his craft. This matches very well with what Stein said about a true MMR being a contributor back to the hobby.

My father started down the trail toward his MMR. He received 2 APs before his failing health removed from the hobby, and eventually from life on earth. While he was working on his MMR, he never doubted that is was a worthwhile pursuit. I think I feel the same way.

Messages In This Thread