Alternative to the NMRA Master Model Railroader?
Excellent discussion, everybody! Cheers

Thank you for so heartily responding and sharing your thoughts about this subject. I know feelings can run high - hot or cold - about the NMRA, so I appreciate the effort at keeping the discussion positive and productive. Thumbsup

I personally don't have any plans to construct an actual documented, structured program to set up as an 'official' alternative to the NMRA's program. I suppose if someone wants to do that I'd be happy to throw my hat in the ring and help.
What I'm hoping for is that this discussion, here on this most amiable and agreeable of all the forums, might foster a good working definition or shared idea about what a master model railroader is - apart from any of the previously established NMRA requirements.

I understand that not everybody welcomes constructive criticism and that's okay. But it seems from this thread and others that many of us place a strong emphasis on personal growth in the hobby using the standards we set for ourselves. Some of us even hold the MMR ideals up as a benchmark or as goals.

But could it be that one thing that makes this forum work - our diversity of interests, locales, personal goals and experiences, is also something that is undercutting the level of interest and committment to the MMR program? With the relative anonymity of the internet - faceless icons and imprecise words - we have lost or changed some shared ideals that would otherwise provide positive peer pressure to acheive?

For instance, if you attend a monthly clinic where models are presented, you can see these models up close first hand, interact with the modelers who built them, etc. Fine, you can do that on a forum too. But what's missing is the conversation you have with another person quietly away from the model table in which you agree his weathering is a little too much for your taste. If you know the modeler, you may be able tell that to them. They may even agree with you. But this interaction will probably be kosher and amiable because there's a common understanding that by putting their model on the table they are opening themselves up to receive comments - positive or negative.

That may not be a terrible criticism and is certainly not a slur or personal attack against the modeler. However, Print those thoughts on a forum and you mighty get lynched. This is just one example and not all are negative. But it's that sort of peer interaction that somehow builds a shared understanding that alot of 'attaboy's' and flat out adoration Worship just cannot do. I know, mother always said "if you can't say anything nice...." but we are still judging (not always judgmental), critically thinking beings and our modeling is affected by interacting with other modelers in a reflective way. I think a set of standards, spoken or unspoken, contribute to the growth of the hobby by inspiring us and challenging us to do things not just better but sometimes differently. I know you can get that on a forum, but I think there's something missing that comes from either face to face interaction with modeler and model, or clearly articulating ideas in a forum where it's understood that nobody is going to get their nose out of joint if a criticism is made.

Anyway, this is some of the motivation behind this question and discussion, at least for me. Thanks again for the good thoughts! Big Grin

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!

Messages In This Thread