Alternative to the NMRA Master Model Railroader?
ocalicreek Wrote:What I'm hoping for is that this discussion, here on this most amiable and agreeable of all the forums, might foster a good working definition or shared idea about what a master model railroader is - apart from any of the previously established NMRA requirements.

Okay, here is a counter question: why is it important to you to establish "a good working definition" of what a master model railroader is?

I know whom among the forum members I consider to be masters at various subjects. As do you, no doubt. We may not necessarily agree on all our choices, but I am sure that there would be significant overlap.

But why is it necessary for us to try to work out formal criteria for who is a master and who is not?

ocalicreek Wrote:For instance, if you attend a monthly clinic where models are presented, you can see these models up close first hand, interact with the modelers who built them, etc. Fine, you can do that on a forum too. But what's missing is the conversation you have with another person quietly away from the model table in which you agree his weathering is a little too much for your taste.

Not much of a problem, in my experience. I have had dozens of one-on-one conversations with people by personal message of some kind (most model railroading forums has some kind of personal message thing), discussing some aspect of their or my layout.

Where there is a will, there is a way. But I don't quite see what this new subject (or the subject of how to avoid getting charged by KISAs if you provide a honest and constructive critique on some subject) has to do with whether there is a definition of who is a master model railroader?

(KISAs = Knights In Shining Armor - people who rush to take up arms to defend others against imaginary dragons, people who take offense on behalf of others).

The core issue with advice is not who is offering the advice, but whether the advice offered make sense to you.

Smile,
Stein

Messages In This Thread