Flex vs Sectional.
Most track planning software, is tailored to sectional curves ( each radius is a "given" ), so persons designing with those software packages will, generally, lay sectional curves of the specified radii.
The radius of a "flex" curve is infinitely variable, and can be used to create curves that fit the space, rather than fit the "plan".
I have a tendency to visualize the topography first, and build the track plan to fit "the lay of the land", so I tend to use flex for my curves, as the radius may vary throughout the length of the curve, depending on what might be "in the way".
Sectional curves can insure that a specific locomotive will negotiate the entire curve. ( I have had to ease parts of a curve, because I got them too tight ---- the SHS&D 3' gauge 2-4-4-2, was built because the curve couldn't be "eased", and the original 2-8-0 couldn't get through it --- Long story, involving the Shipyard owner, and the Mayor who owned the "needed" land )

One has to be willing to "make adjustments", to get flex curves running smoothly, for all the locos that will run on them.
Properly laid sectional curves, are, more often, good to go, for life, from the first to the last. I see the use of either, or both, a matter of personal preference, as opposed to "right or wrong".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread