Flex vs Sectional.
More and more I've come to the conclusion that Flex track is better than sectional track.

Right now, my layout WILL NOT function, mostly due to sectional track. I've been planning on rebuilding the track for a LONG time (hence no ballast on my mainlines). While I have removed and replaced some sectional track with flex track, I continue to get dead spots. I've even gone as far as to solder every sectional joint I could reach. Still there are dead spots, and this is unacceptable.

This is not to say that sectional track doesn't work. It did for a long time, until it got old. every winter and summer i have to go and rebuild my track just to undo the effects of expansion and contraction. I recognize that flex track is also vulnerable to this, but not nearly as much as if every connection was broken every 9 inches.

Still, the reliability boost (both in terms of electrical connectivity and dramatic reduction of uneven rail joints) makes flex track the best choice.

Lester Perry Wrote:I was going back over this thread looking for ISL as I don't know what it means.

Don't feel alone, i had no clue what it meant either! but as Bill Nye used to say "NOW YOU KNOW".
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread