Poll: For you, is model railroading a solo or social activity?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Solo Activity. I enjoy doing most of my modeling by myself. I find it a healthy way to calm my brain and spirit, relax, think, and decompress from everyday stress. Having too many other participants causes me to lose focus and sometimes prevents my full enjoyment of the hobby.
82.50%
33 82.50%
Social Activity. I enjoy modeling with others, inviting others over for operating sessions, and participating in clubs. Without the social contacts, I would have less interest in model railroading.
17.50%
7 17.50%
Total 40 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Model railroading - a solo or social activity?
I don't "operate" my layout, as it's still lacking a couple of important towns, but I do run trains. This could be a social activity but operating will almost definitely be solo, as sequential operations have only one train running at a time. Goldth
Modelling, if I want to accomplish anything, is a solo activity, although I don't mind showing others how to do things and I have done minor repairs for others while they wait.
The social aspect of the hobby is, for me, a fairly recent thing, and while it's trains that originally connected me with many others, it's not necessary, to me, for the hobby to be a part of every get-together.
I do know that the social side of the hobby, along with a few other things, has decreased my ability to accomplish as much modelling as I'd like. I probably spend way too much time on-line. Misngth 35

Wayne

Messages In This Thread