Short Line IPD Equipment
Sumpter250 Wrote:Some really nice photos !! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Being old, and of the "carve it from stone, era of pictures", how can one 'scan' color slides, and have them come out as if taken with a digital camera in the first place. I have slides that I'd like to convert to digital files, so I could "play" with them.
Thanks! Plenty more where these came from along with many photos of short line power on many now abandoned short lines.

As for scanning the slides. I'm using an HP ScanJet G4010, that has a special tray in the lid that holds 5 - 35mm slides at one time. It's also supposed to be able to scan negatives, but I have never tried that.

The scanner comes with a pretty nice, simple program that allows you to pick out each slide, enlarge it, crop it and then save it or as I do; send the scan to another graphics program, where I can crop it and clean the image up some.

It's very time consuming, averaging probably 10 minutes or so to complete one image. So far, I can't get the scans to come close to the quality of the original slide or anything like today's digital images, but over all they aren't too bad. A more expensive, higher quality scanner might produce better results, but for the most part, I'll just go with the slides and scan images as I go through my collection and see what I can get.

Haven't looked in to it, but there are probably services available that might do a much better job then I've been able to do, but then you're no doubt talking some big bucks to get over 1200 slides converted!

I love the quality of the digital images, but man oh man I miss the good old Kodachrome 25/65 slides!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread