Working on the MDC shay
've been adding parts to the boiler and doing a bit of plumbing.
A bracket was fabricated for the compressor I found in a parts lot(not sure who made it). The piping is steel and brass wire.

The other side.

I actually prefer brass wire. It's easier to form.
I used a piece of an Athearn hand rail for the water injector line to replace the original steel MDC part, only because thats what I had on hand that was the right dia. . The line under the compressor exhaust line is a hardened steel twisty tie like I used for the railing on the side of the cab and water tank. (cheep source of thinner wire).
As for attaching the pipes , I drill holes where ever possible and use super glue to attach the part and fill the holes. I have found that cleaning the part to remove any oil that is on it from handling it helps.
On some long runs of pipe, I install a bracket to hold it in position. I bend an eyelet from thin wire and glue it in a predrilled hole.
The compressor had dimples where the lines connect that were drilled out a bit and the ends of the lines inserted and glued.
At some point I'd like to try resistance soldering parts like these.
I think some advantages to using steel over brass would be strength on long runs of pipes that may be subjected to abuse from handling and it isn't marred as easily by tools in the bending process.

I am planning to use white LEDs machined on the lathe to a tight press fit into the housing . I am going to try to cut a taper in the front of the LED to resemble a reflector and glue a thin lens over it. The leads of the LED will be shortened and KD coupler springs attached to act as contacts. (sounds good in theory)
I installed a disconnect plug for the front light in the boiler today. (more VCR parts)

This is the jumper wire to the motor. The leads from the front truck will attach to these wires inside the boiler, where power will be tapped for the headlight. The leads from the rear truck will run to the motor.

A better shot of the left side.
If you look closely you can see the strap holding the water injector line.

Ray Marinaccio

Messages In This Thread