USATC S160 2-8-0 in HO scale RTR!!!
Hi Everyone, Patrick Durand <!-- e --><a href="mailtoConfusedewtrain@mtaonline.net">sewtrain@mtaonline.net</a><!-- e --> is currently working on a project to produce a Ready to Run US Army Transportation Corps WW2 S160 class 2-8-0. I've copied his last newsleter on this page with his contact details. These locomotives ran almost all over the world, including Alaska, the Reader Railroad, andcurrently the TVRM. It may be worth dropping him a line if you are interested. Hope everyone is having fun - David Notarius, London UK (ex New Hope Pa)

To all you railroaders who want to see the S-160 class locomotives in HO scale.

The response to the s-160 model survey continues to grow. In the past 48 hours there have been 21 new responses. Many are coming from Poland and Turkey. As of today there have been 177 respondents world wide with informal requests for over 250 units. I am now forwarding all responses to parties responsible for the project development. First thank you for participating in my informal survey which is ongoing. The U.S. Army Transportation Corp S-160 Consolidation 2-8-0 locomotive, as many of you know, saw wide distribution and many years service around the world. My personal interest are the 12 units that formed the 550 class on the Alaska Railroad.

Your comments on the survey are very important to the planning process. Please send photos of specific prototypes and special features you might like to see produced and I will have them forwarded until such time as the manufacturer is ready to announce the model and an official discussion Forum for the s-160. While I am not at liberty to name the source for the proposed HO scale model, I wanted you all to know this is a serious effort. I have been authorized to offer this statement for your consideration. The project for the H0-scale S-160 was scheduled to be started in 2009, but due to the current economy slow-down it will be postponed a few months. Meanwhile, we are collecting all available data for all commercially interesting versions. We believe that a good knowledge of the prototype, combined with an accurate modular project, will allow for many different versions without major tooling changes. The model will feature die-cast and plastic parts; motor and flywheel will be concealed in the boiler, and transmission will be hidden into the firebox. Of course it will be DCC and Sound ready, however we haven't yet decided if these features will be factory-installed.

The model will be available only as R-T-R. An undecorated version will be marketed for those wishing to modify it to depict a specific prototype.We also plan to open a specific discussion Forum on our website, so people will be able to exchange their knowledge and even custom-made parts.
Patrick J. Durand, Wasilla, Alaska

Attached Files Image(s)

Messages In This Thread