Rapido Trains & the Turbo
Nice story.

I have the original Bachmann demo model.
When then United Aircraft(Now United Technologies) first built the turbo train, they had a small N scale layout in one of the cars. Bachmann was contracted to design, and make a small model for the layout, in exchange for the rights to the model.(Thats why Bachmann was first to sell N scale models of it..Irv didn't want anything to do with N scale at the time..So the story goes).
When UA did a country wide tour and would show prospective customers, there would be a layout, complete with trees, houses, and a hand painted version of the Turbo Train demostrator model whipping around the track. After the tour was over, (I think VIA bought the demostrator),the layout was dismantled, and those involved with the project got to take home the pieces.
When I was working at Sikorsky Aircraft(Late 80's to late 90's), one of the "ready for gold watch" guys I worked with, was involved with the demostration project(He got to travel the country with the Turbo Train on the companiy's checkbook). actully had the original Bachmann model. He gave it to me,(I was N scale back then) along with a couple of buildings, and some track from the layout.
I will post pics.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.

Messages In This Thread