What am I seeing? (electrical problem)
I tried to run the train the other night after about a two month absence. Nothing. Started testing with the meter and eventually found that the two rails are showing a short. I have a single loop of track. No turnouts or other wiring complications.

A digital meter shows a short with about -500 ohms with the common lead on one rail. If I switch leads the meter shows open. With an analog meter I show about 500 ohms regardless of which lead is on which rail.

The track has been in place for about one year. It's brass, code 332, with plastic ties. I have vacuumed the ballast out from around the area where the problem seems to be occurring. I narrowed the problem area down to this location by raising the track onto wood blocks and then removing the blocks one at a time until I found the location where the short reappeared.

Some times if I move the track, the short will disappear, only to reappear a couple minutes later. I have put the meter on the track while raising the track and the meter still shows a short. If I remove the leads and retest a couple minutes later, the short is gone.

I am completely stumped by this behavior. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Tom

edit to add: I did not have the power supply connected when testing the track.
Life is simple - Eat, Drink, Play with trains

Occupation: Professional Old Guy (The government pays me to be old.)

Messages In This Thread