Passenger locomotives
cn nutbar Wrote:Hello Everyone---many railroads reserved certain motive power for passenger trains.Here's a couple of Canadian National steam locomotives that were used exclusively in passenger service.Do you have any passenger locomotives on your roster ?

Is this an invitation to display?

By the nature of the prototype i like to model, most of my equipment is passenger (in fact, it seems like i have to go really out of my way and over budget to bring in electric freight).

Well, I'll at least stick with the steam before i electrocute the thread, so to speak.

UP #3976 was one of a group of Challenger steamers rebuilt as oil burners in 1945 and put into passenger service in UP's "Northwest" District from 1946 to 1950, when E-unit diesels replaced them. The Challengers themselves replaced Moutain and other smaller steamer types on passenger trains that had required double heading. The big articulateds had no problem with the Northwestern grades.

#3976 was the first Challenger to get the two toned paint scheme and smoke shifters, being completed in mid december 1946, and being the first challenger to haul a passenger train, the "Portland Rose". The paint scheme was initially an experiment. The shops main UP shops in Omaha Nebraska called the shops in Portland and told them to paint the 3976 in the two tone gray, and then send the picture back to them. When Omaha got the picture, they liked it and ordered the other passenger challengers be painted in that scheme as well.

The model is a Lionel HO product, almost entirely Diecast. It is SO heavy, that sometimes it can't haul itself up the grades on our club layout. Its kind of ironic, really! It didn't come with traction tires, and so I'll have to put bullfrog snot on it.

[Image: morerostershots12141001.jpg]

cn nutbar Wrote:Hello Everyone---many railroads reserved certain motive power for passenger trains.Here's a couple of Canadian National steam locomotives that were used exclusively in passenger service.Do you have any passenger locomotives on your roster ?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread