Passenger locomotives
Now i need to make sure i don't fill the thread with GG1s, lol.

That said, in a way, i'm not surprised that not many people have posted passenger locomotives. I suppose watching these threads, passenger trains rarely show up. everyone seems to be modeling industrial parks these days, or at the very least, the lines they model don't seem to feature passenger service. I wonder if it is passenger trains are to big, to expensive, or perhaps passenger operations aren't exciting?

In any case, at least i can and some to the list-

More of a roster shot, but here is the ubiquitous passenger diesel. This was a Spectrum F40PH-2 that I modified to resemble the locomotives as they appeared in 1983 when delivered. I still have to do some detailing, but its not a bad start. Modifications involved removing and filling in the dynamic brake grids vents and fan, adding a new K5LA horn, covering over the Amtrak only "emergency light", painting the corner markers transparent red, and Kato F40PH strobes.

[Image: morerostershots12141003.jpg]

While on NJ Transit, an ALP44 Electric.

[Image: 412to182010njtransitmodd.jpg]

The locomotive that tried to beat the GG1, and lost. E60CH # 958 is one of two surviving E60s, and the only one not modified.

[Image: 412to182010njtransitmod.jpg]

NJ transit electric line up- GG1 4876 (Yes, the one that crashed into Union station survived to the end), E60CH 958, ALP44 4405, and ALP46 4628. The ALP46 is still under construction.

Most recent progress shot of my ALP46 commuter electric. I'm using a Roco DC drive that is very similar to the prototype frame. I'm not happy with this one, and i have another shell and decal set to work with on building a second.

[Image: 72510alp46002.jpg]

U34CH, another locomotive with an identity crisis. Built for commuter service, but built like a freight engine.

[Image: 11508003qb1.jpg]

I've gone back and started to more deeply detail my GP40FH-2. I have a cab interior for it, and and i'm still trying to find some smokey valley handrails to put up front. The prototype was a rebuild by Morrison & Knudsen using old GP40s from all over the country, and then putting BN F45 cowls over them. I'm not sure why, but it was never repeated. the locomotives were known as "pigs" because of their shape. #4141 is one of the last in operation. Others are in Canada or retired.

[Image: gp40fh21011110.jpg]

Here is something new and different, a PL42AC. These first arrived in 2007 to replace the older GP40FH-2s and F40PH-2s like the ones above.

[Image: 72709pl42acpainted004.jpg]

GP40 #4300 isn't technically a dedicated passenger locomotive, but it sure does on occaision rescue downed trains.

I'll probably put up some Amtrak later, lol
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread