Two loading projects
Bernhard, thanks for posting another example on a larger photo.
I think I got the clue! The cut ends of the wood still show the single fibers. The prototype is raw cut in a hurry and lots of fibers are visible at the cut ends. But in scale 1:87 should a raw cut look very close to perfection too. Have a look at the cut ends of the front example.
Some are close to perfection and look very prototypical. Some look not so perfect cut. But they do not look like raw cut in scale 1:87. They look wrong to me.
The single fibers to not scale down. Therefore they should be not be visible at the cut ends. I am sure the problem is solved if you use hard wood with thin fibers and sand the cut carefully like you did it with brass or styrene.

ps. Average skilled modelers (like me) use sometimes sloppy cut parts of matches for wooden transportation support. Matches are made from soft wood with long fibers. The result is almost always not very good. A frequent bad example are little triangles cut from matches used as stoppers at both sides of wheels.

pps. This has nothing to do with weathering or staining of the wood. The prototype uses very fresh wood.
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread