Newbie DCC Recommendation
I have the MRC PA and had it upgraded to the PA squared. It comes highly recommended. I have had no problems with the system and I have run as many as 8 sound equipped locomotives at the same time with the supplied power pack. The MRC is very easy to make consists, and does programing on the main as well as a program track. I also got the wireless computer throttle which is great for running as well as programming.
MRC also uses standard CAT5 cables for tethers and I wired the jacks around the layout with outlets from Home Depot. I had to add a booster for the jacks because I have more than 5 outlets, but that just plugs into an AC outlet and one of the CAT5 receptacles.
MRC does not play with JMRI, but I don't care. It is a great system. The instructions are also printed on the back of the throttle which is very handy.
MRC got a bad rap for their decoders which were not very reliable early on but the new ones are better. However I have 7 locomotives with MRC sound decoders and they work swell, the only complaint being the volume is too loud, but I don't hear well, so that's fine with me, I just hit F8 when friends are here and we are chatting.
I would recommend you join the yahoo chat groups for the DCC systems. Their is one for most all of them. Just lurk and see what problems they each have, and how simple or hard the solutions are.
I have used the NCE power cab, and I found it to be less user friendly, though not to hard to figure out. After all, DCC is a continuous learning system anyway.
Charlie

Messages In This Thread