Poll: How do you model passenger train?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Passenger models are a big part of my Layout's operation
32.26%
10 32.26%
I run the occaisional Streamliner through town between freights
12.90%
4 12.90%
I collect Passenger trains, but do not typically run them.
3.23%
1 3.23%
I don't have the space for passenger trains, but I'd like to
16.13%
5 16.13%
I generally prefer freight over passenger trains
35.48%
11 35.48%
Total 31 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Modeling Passenger Trains, Yay or Nay?
Several discussions, both here and elsewhere, have prompted me to wonder, are passenger trains a popular part of the model railroad hobby?

I'm sure nearly everyone here has had some sort of passenger equipment at some point during their run with the hobby. However, recently I've noticed a trend: Very few people actually model passenger trains as part of their layout. Rather, they seem to fill in many modeler's collections, appearing only occaisionally to impress friends, pose for pictures, or to break up the freight service every once in a while. They seem to spend more time in boxes and shelves than on the rails.

This is not the only issue.

A fellow on another forum decided to help his young neighbor get started in model railroading, only to find that most Amtrak stuff was not available (at least, not in any recent schemes). It makes me wonder if passenger trains (especially the more modern ones like Amtrak or Via Rail) are being relegated to more of a limited production because of low demand. Though plenty of streamliners are currently available for purchase (perhaps more than there ever were), I rarely see them on the rails outside of a few model-railroad club open houses.

Is it just that Industrial shortlines and other "off the main" type railroad layouts have become so popular that the market for passenger trains have been reduced? After all, outside of heavily populated areas, passenger trains (if any) rarely show up. Perhaps they do not catch people's imaginations anymore?

What is your take on modeling Passenger trains?
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]

Messages In This Thread