Louise Valley Lumber Co. - My Fn3 logging line
Gerd;

Very nice! I got involved in the Fn3 logging stuff myself some years ago when I was doing research on some of the many logging railroads here in Kentucky and also when Bachmann released their 1:20.3 Shay. Filled the basement with benchwork and track, never really giving any thought to how I'd put scenery on such a large scale layout, but it was fun to operate a train between the woods and the sawmill over a couple of switchbacks for a while. Also had one of the Bachmann Climax locomotives (the Climax is my favorite), but had problems with both it and the Shay; gears and axles that split, etc. Always wanted to get one of the Accucraft Shays, but talked myself out of it. Sold off all the logging stuff except the Climax which is now just a display model.

Any way, here's a couple of inspirational photos from my collection:

The 6 ton Shay operated by D. H. Eastin & Son. Note the wooden rail, snow and ice and how the men are dressed. Eastin's operation was 3 miles long, 36in gauge, constructed with wooden rail and connected with the Lexington & Eastern Railway. They had a total of 8 switchbacks on their little line.     Here is one of their trains on a high trestle. Note that the locomotive was placed in the middle of the train to make doubling steep grades easier. A standard practice in this part of the country. The two loaded disconnect trucks was about all the little Shay could handle.     Finally, here is a good photo of the 18 ton Climax operated by the Red River & Beattyville Southern Railway. Their operation was about 8 miles long, 36in gauge and also connected with the Lexington & Eastern Railway.    
Enjoy operating your large scale logging equipment!
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread