Questions about a coal dealer
I am going to build a model of a coal dealer loosely based on a prototype dealer that was in Washington D.C. The dealer was on the east side of South Capital St near "Virginia" interlocking and an area known on the PRR as "Jersey Yard". I have not yet been able to get photos of the yard but found an aerial of it on Historicaerials.com and I count 3 coal trestles with no less than 60 divided troughs beneath them, many with roofs over them. My questions... how many grades of coal would have been common at a fuel dealer? Why would some of the troughs be covered? I imagine that Washington D.C. would have used a significant amount of coal, coal oil, and coal gas back then.

If I can figure out a legit way to show you guys this aerial photo I will, it is very interesting. Next to the dealer is also some team tracks, a warehouse, a scrap yard, a loop track, and several industries served by street trackage. Across the main from the dealer is Capital Power, the plant that serves all the Government buildings downtown. In the mean time if you go to historic aerials, search washington d.c., find the railroad tracks in the southern portion of the city, the area i'm talking about in right near the center of the city. In the northeast section you can see also see Washington Terminal, which features a great double turnable/roundhouse.
-Dave

Messages In This Thread