Freelance 2012
Russ Bellinis Wrote:...It appears that by the early 1950's all switch engines had been painted in the zebra scheme.

I have done Santa Fe engines in Zebra stripe. It is fiddly, and takes time, but is a relatively easy paint job. Basically you just paint the unit
black, and then apply the stripes with decals.

Russ, I agree that they should have the full stripes. The samples I posted are dated some time earlier. The nose of the hood and the backside of the cabin must be free of any details to apply the stripe decals. I am afraid to break the very fine grab irons etc. when I remove and later reinstall them. I am also unsure how well I will apply the decals. That is my motivation the go with a too early scheme.
The time "1950s" is unintentional defined by some of the rolling stock and some automobiles I have. May be it is worth ignoring some wrong (expensive) Kadee box cars and leave some 1950s automobiles in the cabinet. That would be helpful to declare the layout in the later 1940s. The truck form "classic metal works" fit the 1940s perfect. My limousine collection may need a careful eye.
I have a couple of Accurail 40' Wood Outside-Braced Box Cars. Did those old cars still exist in the late 1940s?

I have got some questions about the streets in the warehouse district at that time (lets say late 1940s).
- Was parking already a problem and "no parking" signs could be found everywhere?
- Was the yellow stripe at the edge of the walkway already used to indicate "no parking"?
- Did all streets already have the full road markers (white at the sides and yellow to separate opposing traffic etc.)?
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread