Rail road signals and their placement
Koos,
Typically when you have a double main, if the signals for each track are on their own masts then they would appear on the trackside of the track they govern. In other words, the signal to the left of the tracks would govern the left track, the signal to the right of the tracks would govern the right track.

[Image: signal2.jpg]

When both signal share a common mast on one side or the other of the tracks, the left signal would govern the left, the right governs the right. In this case the mast must be tall enough to be seen by trains on the opposite track from the signal, even when a train may be on the track between the signal and the governed track.

[Image: signal1.jpg]

In the rare case when only one track of a double main has a signal, but it is on the opposite side of the tracks, there will be a "dummy" mast on the non signalled side, like this one. In this case the signal governs the left track.

[Image: signal3.jpg]

There are also overhead signal cantilevers, the signals are located roughly over the track they govern or, as above, left governs left, right governs right. There are of course many, MANY, exceptions, cases where signals may be located in unusual locations due to obscured visibility, tight quarters, or any number of other reasons. In these cases, the information would be provided in the Timetable Special Instructions governing the division that is being operated on, and required to be studied an familiar to all crews operating over that territory.

I am sure I missed something, I haven't been employed by a railroad in T&E service now in over 10 years. There are others who will amend or add to what I have said. Sorry about the poor artwork, i'm no artist. Goldth

Dave
-Dave

Messages In This Thread