Sailormatlac 2012 Resolution Challenge
Updated the layout plan.

[Image: IndustrialAvenue-Layout14.jpg]

Mainly, I was annoyed by the planning mill. My local sawmill have the saw dust collector on the main road side with the planning mill open to the yard... Feel more better this way. I also felt that I needed to separate the low density industries from the brick warehouses just like the real prototype. I moved Canardière Road to act as a scenic divider between both different part of the layout.

I also removed the coal dealer. The real one used a 10' high trestle. I felt like everything was cramped here. For this reason, coal will be handled in team track. I converted the shanty there into a scale. Could be useful for many bulk goods. Anyway, there was a building there on the prototype, I just couldn't find information about its purpose.

Also, I'm think about moving the lumber yard "south" part more to the right to get place for a service station on the street corner. I would help to capture the real nature of Canardière Road. Anyway, the team track is pretty large right now (6 x 40' cars), it could easily loose about 80' without problem...

That will have to be verified with a real size mock up thought. I also modelized the layout with Google SketchUp. So far, so good. It's my first time using this for modelling purpose. I must say you quickly see what doesn't work!!!

On the left side, I modified the industries a little bit. I decided to add the Farm Implement and Bottling Plant that existed on the south side. I feel like it wouldn't be bad to have buildings on each side to make up a real street facade.

Near the leading track, I also added a dummy storage track to serve as a scenic element (storing cars to be fiddled). The reason is because the roof slope is low on this spot. I prefer to get enough place to move my hands around the train consist.

Feel free to comment!

***EDIT*** Updated the track plan to fit what I was saying.

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread