Sailormatlac 2012 Resolution Challenge
Finally, I decided to settle my choice on CVT/Proto 87 turnouts code 70 and ME code 70 flextrack. I once thought about getting everything done in code 55. Would be nice, but I want to operate the layout before the challenge ends. CVT turnouts are the easiest way to get custom-made curved turnout to fit my needs. Most switches will be #8 and #9 for space consideration and realism (!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Icon_lol

Did some researches for a proper switching engine for this little layout. I have my Proto 2000 0-8-0 CNR switcher still on my shelves that could be a nice candidate. Unfortunately, it had been shelved for years in my parent's attic, which wasn't the best climate controlled storage room you could wish for. It now runs like at an irregular pace, as if dirt and oxydation spots make it stall a little after the drivers turn a complete revolution. Anybody got this problem? How to fix it?

I would also be interested by early EMD diesels. I'm leaning toward a Bachmann CNR GP9 (which is decorated as a GP7), throw a new decoder in it and add a few details to make it believable. Maybe a SW 12000... I'll see what my budget can afford. Looks like the Bachmann would be the easiest and best choice. How's your experience of this engine? I've heard a lot of good comments so far. Am I the only one to be bothered by Bachmann CNR Green??? I feel like it's too dark. At some point, since the layout is set in late 1950's and GP7 appeared in 1953, I could manage to tone down the "wrong" color by fading it a little bit.

These images taken from CNR Photos show GP7 in what appear to be dark green (I don't trust old color picture though and the second one is a repainted engine). Im always disappointed at repainted engine, they looks TOO GLOSS to me, but it's probably a side effect of weathering practice!!!! Icon_lol

[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...lNumber=10]
[Image: main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_it...alNumber=8]

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread