Sailormatlac 2012 Resolution Challenge
I painted the background and decided to mock up some industries according to the plan. It looked bad. Not that I was surprised about it. So, I decided to fudge the prototype a little bit. Most track will stay similar and operation patterns will be the same too. However, I decided to get rid of the roundhouse and replace it by a long brick warehouse with a parallell road (industrial avenue aka Boulevard Montmorency nowadays). The Conway avenue industries (bottling, food warehouses) and Canardière Road were the worst parts.

[Image: 2012-01-16001b-1.jpg]

Honestly, I tried many config but it didn't capture the prototype flavour. Less is more again and again... It's incredible how we can pack a lot of stuff on a CAD drawing... I'll need to put a little bit more "scenery zones" to make it credible.

Since I've been gathering informations to model a few QRL&PCo freight cars, I decided to add a few industries nearby Industrial avenue that were served by this company. We are now completely in protofreelanced world. I tried to capture scenes I remembered from my childhood and that had the local flavour instead of mimicking the area. Conway avenue was replaced by Legrade Meat Packings, a nice industry that accept tank cars, stock cars, reefers and coal hoppers. I replaced Canardière Road with a gravel path called D'Estimauville avenue. I always wanted to model this industry and I feel it's configuration is the best one to close the end of the layout. The foreground track will be used for the stock cars, so the cattle pens will be an excellent structure that won't hide the cars.

[Image: AbattoirLegrade.jpg]

[Image: MeatPacking-1957-159.jpg]

[Image: 2012-01-16004b.jpg]

The lumber yard will be preserved (maybe), but the foreground buildings will probably disappear, using instead the lumber piles to divide the scenes. The backgroudn buildings will be reversed, with the sawdust collector at right. This is done according to a saw mill that existed on this line since the early 50's. I'll probably make a ditch behind it just like the real thing to give a little bit more scenery.

British-American Oil will stay at the same spot and will continue to hold 4 cars. However, it will have its facade on industrial avenue, which will boast a 3-track crossing.

[Image: 2012-01-16006b.jpg]

The new Avenue Industrielle in place of the Roundhouse. I still have to decide if I'll use the track parallell to the new long building as an industry or keep it as "mainline" and storage for operation. What do you think about it? I must admit I was inspired by SSW's layout.

[Image: 2012-01-16005b.jpg]

A global view of the new layout mock up. The fore ground track will be used as a team track for rough lumbers, gravel, coal and other bulk load.

[Image: 2012-01-16003b.jpg]

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread