Sailormatlac 2012 Resolution Challenge
Here we go for today! Backdrop installed. I really like its color, turned out better than I thought. I followed Mindheim's advice and sampled a "cold" blue near the horizon on a picture from my area in late-summer. Well, just say a lot of luck played a part in the result! ;-)

[Image: 2012-01-18004b.jpg]

I decided to mock up the lumber yard first. It is a scale replica of my hometown sawmill which was built in the early 50's by Léo Cauchon. It is (was) rail-served by QRL&PCo (CNR), enough place for 3 cars. Google Earthn provided most informations. Here you can see the sawmill in it's late 2000's appearance. About five years ago, a fire destroyed the saw dust (chip wood) collector, so the left most part was lightly altered and lenghtened. Anyway, I think this industry could inspire a few of you building ISL. The overall building is 200 ft long by 40' large. It is now owned by Produits forestiers Résolu (Resolute Forest Products), the newst reincarnation of Abitibi-Price since last year.

[Image: LoCauchon1.jpg]

[Image: LoCauchon2.jpg]

Here's a foamcore mock up of the saw mill as it was built. I don't have any picture from this era (yet, I'll do some researches at the local archives) but I remember it quite well since my first ever scratchbuilt structure was this very one. I was 11 years old back then and my father helped me. We went out of mind by building the complete open-frame wood structure and trusses!!! I still one of my favorite structure on the club layout. Prior to that, I once build it in my LEGO town and, it was rail-served.

Here's the new reincarnation. The chip wood collector can fill 2 semi-trailers at once. I also added the option to load a hopper, according to picture seen in an old 70's RMC, the one they shown how to kitbash Seattle, Spokane & Portland's wood chip hoppers.

[Image: 2012-01-18003b.jpg]

With some cars. British-American oil is in the background and almost at scale.

[Image: 2012-01-18001b.jpg]

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/

Messages In This Thread