dave_long 2012 resolution challenge
Well the nose, cab and sub base have been removed from the short hood of the Athearn body. Now Cannon and Co suggest adding a piece of 0.040" styrene under the sill from the climber back to under the long hood, to help keep the body from breaking as removing all these parts really weakens the body plastic and breaking the sills is something you really need to avoid!

Here is where we are up to:

I didn't take Cannons advice and use a supporting piece of styrene as I managed to get hold of a flush cutting razor saw which manages to make the job really easy and without much strain on the plastic body. You have to make sure you very careful as the saw blade is very flexible and can wander off line. Thats ok if you go upwards but again you want to avoid going down through the sill!

As you can also see from the above shot, the smaller inertial filter grille has been sanded down and the body worked flush. The hatch on the roof has not been removed yet, so that will be done before parts start being added. The filter grille on the other side has also been sanded down flush, and the trench I spoke about earlier in the thread has been filled, the blower housing has also been removed and sanded flush, again once the roof hatch has been done I can start thinking about adding the new filters and blower housing.

I've now started thinking about adding the new sub base, so I went back to my proto photos to check what was needed for the sub base boxes. What do you know Cannons kit contains a number of variants and yes they do the parts that I need, however they dont do enough of the parts I need in 1 kit Wallbang

This is whats needs:

Photo copyright Erik C ©2011

Although I only have this side in photos of #5807 if you check any of the photo sites especially RR archive then you can see that both sides are identical, this is where the problem lies, The following is what I can make from the C&c kit:

As you can see from the photos above that although I have one side from the kit the smaller box on the left has 2 singular vents on the prototype, so 1 of each vent will need removing from the Cannon parts to match. Plus I need to find some more parts for the other side.
So if anyone has any spares from one of these kits and is willing to ship to the UK (I'll pay the shipping fees!) Or I get another kit sent over.

Thanks for reading folks...

Dave
My Miami NW 22nd St layout and modelling blog http://dlmr.wordpress.com/ Please come by and leave a comment.

Messages In This Thread