0perations on the Kings Port Division
I've been rethinking how I operate my layout in order to keep it fresh and fun...and also because I'm pondering inviting a friend of mine along with his 9 year old son to join in an operation session. The way I've been running the layout is to develop a switch list for one train that serves the various industries on my layout and set it to work while another train continually rolls by to make things more active and interesting. I built my layout with some awarenes and interest in operations but hadn't thought out a very clear scheme. A long mainline run was more important to me at the time.

My track plan is a long folded over dogbone. It's U shaped with the end return loops superimposed over each other at one end. (Upper Left in the track plan) I'll post a crude track plan below.

[Image: 004-1.jpg]

I only drew the main line and what I call "the siding" (in red) that allows me to run a train from one side of the room to the other and switch several industries w/o interfering with a continuosly running train on the main.

One of the operational weaknesses of my layout is limited staging. I CAN use the two hidden tracks at the top of the diagram behind West Mill as places to park trains that can be called out when I want them but running more than two trains becomes a challenge. Hiiden track is represented by dotted lines.

BUT...I'm finding some creative ways to deal with that so I can run more trains in a meaningful sequence completely around the track plan and also have local switching action at both Kings Port and West Mill while another train is running.I'm hopping to pack a lot of action and variety into the scheme to keep up my interest and also to satisfy anyone who might visit and help run the railroad.

I was going to create this thread as a blog but thought I'd start it in the Operations Forum instead. I plan to keep adding to it with more decriptions, pictures, and detailed track diagrams of separate areas. Stay tuned!
Ralph

Messages In This Thread