steeple cab project
teejay Wrote:Given that I'm going with a dockside layout I wondered if the overhead wires would be located so close to water in real life and I was told that yes , that would be the case . I'm modeling a 1920's era ......probably going to have a couple of little diesels, and maybe an 0-4-0 steamer . Terry

Just a thought........Overhead wire, on a dock....OK, and how exactly does a crane lift a load off of.., or put a load on, a flat car, "under the wire" ??? I can see a cargo net full of "goods" swinging up out of the hold of a ship, and across the dock, and ZZZzzzzzaaaaappppp! Eek
...How? it doesn't, because the "dockside" locomotive is also equipped with a "third rail shoe", and the pans, or the poles, are lowered, and locked down, when on the dock. Yes, there is now the danger of the third rail, too close to walking, and working people.
I suppose the wire could end at the head end of the pier, and freight cars on the pier, could be moved, using idler flats.
Or,.... the steeple cab could operate ashore, and that 0-4-0, could handle the pier work.
Just thoughts....
That Steeple cab, looks to be a challenging, and interesting project. You will need to know the width of the laser "burn", for each thickness of material used, and compensate for that in your design. ( then again, you may already be aware of that )
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread