Turnout control,Manual or Electric pros or con
To return to the original question, it seems that the answer is "whatever works best for you". Reading all of the modeling magazines, the first thing to note is tat this question has never been "solved" by anybody. Some of the most sophisticated layouts presented have mixtures of switch machines and manual turnouts, depending on location, personal preference and often simple workability.

Powered turnouts are all well and good, but each and every powered item on a layout is more challenge to Murphy's Law, which rules the known universe; i.e., if it can go wrong, it will - and it will do so at the worst possible moment.

My plan for my own layout is to use simple mechanical linkages for turnouts close to the front of the layout, and electrical ones for those on the far side. This makes sense to me because this keeps the mechanical linkages short and simple, and repairs relatively easy, while distant turnouts are more efficiently operated remotely. If it doesn't work out that way, I'm willing to sacrifice switch machines in the interest of better operation, because I know that the mechanical ones will always work, and the last thing that I need is a forest of electrical switches

I also derive personal satisfaction from "throwing the lever" myself, even if it's only a simple knob that shifts a set of points. It gives me a hands-on feel that just isn't there with an electrical switch.

Just my humble opinion.

Messages In This Thread