top 3 things you would change about your layout
We've all got things about our layouts that we wished we would have done differently. Things that we can't fix now without having to almost completely tear down and start over. So what are the top three things you would have done differently? For me:

1) My layout is 4x8, not because it is on a 4x8 sheet of plywood, but because that is the space I had left over in the room after leaving enough room for me to walk around. I didn't want to block any windows or doors, and situating the layout in the center with ample space to walk around left me with 4x8. But now I am recognizing I could have been more creative and still not blocked any windows or doors. I could have made a 4x8 with an L- shaped shelf on one end about 2' x 3' This would have greatly increased my track options, and made my layout visually and operationally more interesting.
2) Being that I have a 4x8, I had to go with 18" curves. That works fine for the narrow gauge, and for my standard gauge 36-40 foot cars and small steamers. But, I put an S-curve in the standard gauge loop so that the mainline does not parallel the edge of the layout, and the curve looks silly when running a passenger train with 60' cars. I'd much now rather have the more boring track so that the passenger train doesn't look so stupid. Changing this would be a real pain, and if I was going to go this far I would completely start over as in item #1
3) I'm wishing I had used #6 turnouts on my narrow gauge. The MDC 2-8-0s do okay because they have blind center drivers. My MDC shay barely makes it. But if I ever wanted to run a 2-8-2, I don't know if it would work so well without modification. This again is something I could change, but again I think I would pursue option #1 before I went this route.

What about you?
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->

Messages In This Thread