Not so very green
Reinhard;

My guess is that the alcohol/india ink wash reacted with the paint you used to tone down the green. I wouldn't be overly concerned about the off-white/gray looking areas on the side of the car, as it's quite common to see covered hoppers, especially those painted in colors other than white/gray; to have that look to them. I see covered hoppers all the time, that have been in service only a short time and look like that; often to the point where it's difficult to read the car data.

Most of my fleet of covered hoppers simply got a light spray of very thin light gray, to get a similar look on them. I'd just vary the amount of the spray (heavier toward the bottom/lighter toward the top) and the cars came out looking "typical" of what I see around grain elevators/feed mills/fertilizer dealers. At loading/unloading points, there is often a lot of dust from the commodity that fills the air and accumulates on the car, so the car on the left looks quite natural to me.

Whether or not you'll get the same effect on the other side of the car when applying the black wash - I don't know. Since the paint has had a longer setting time, it may not be effected. If you aren't happy with the look, the car on the right looks just fine without the wash. Has a nice toned down look. Just add a few rust spots and let it go.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"

Messages In This Thread