Thinking of writing some articles
Thought I would let the powers that be know I am toying with writing some articles, probably with the title - Door Knocker's Meanderings. My uncle was a "door knocker" for CN, his first job after he dropped out of 6th grade. He retired a CN engineer, first out of Jasper Alberta, then finally Edmonton. A door knocker is a kid on a bike who went to tell the engineer he was being called up for a job, this before telephones; in Jasper phones came late, roughly 1957, where my uncle grew up.

I am thinking of writing an article roughly every two weeks and putting it in the Layout forum. I am doing this for a few reasons, turns out even though I hated term papers in college back when Jesus was in diapers, I enjoy writing otherwise. Secondly I enjoy writing about model railroading in general; I was the one who started the concept of the "Layout Party" over at Trainboard, the first 4 or 5 were run by me. Lastly it will be my way to support The Gauge and possibly bring new people in and help maintain your vibrant community.

Finally I am very active on the Atlas forum, but The Gauge is a forum venue that enables threads to hang around longer, since posting is divided into so many categories, unlike Atlas that has four forums. So when I write something, it will be around for a while for all to see.

I am also considering writing some model railroad short stories, all one long series. I have two written currently and am planning on more.

Thought I would give you a heads up to let you know what I am doing so you weren't caught by surprise.

Rick Nicholson
aka: rsn48

Messages In This Thread