Using Locks on Switches While Operating
Galen, now I see what you mean. Out of the 20 turnouts on the main, 14 of them require the knob to be pulled out from the fascia to be aligned for the main. The other 6 require the knobs to be pushed to the fascia to be aligned for the main. The locking mechanism for those 6 will be different than the other 14... the mechanism will actually be simpler in they won't require the hinge on the hasp.

I don't think the 6 different ones will be an issue - with both locking setups, the only way they can be locked is for the turnout to be aligned to the main. If the turnout is aligned to the siding, it can't be locked. This will be readily apparent to the operators from the physical aspects of the lock hardware.

As a through train crew approaches the turnout, they can definitely use the lock as an indicator of the turnout position. If the lock is in position, the turnout must be to the main. I have considered putting in scale switchstands with operating targets, and have thought out the necessary mechanism, but that is far off in the future.

I'm looking forward to my ops session on Sunday and the feedback from the crews. I decided to install 5 locks in strategic locations so the crews can have some interaction with them. I'll definitely report the results!

Messages In This Thread